Some Tips For You!
Everyone can agree that propane gas can be an affordable and efficient way to heat your home, get hot water, cook and generate electricity. But did you know that improperly handled propane safety can cost you your home, or even worse, your life? It’s important that you follow propane safety best practices and use caution when handling tanks, fuel lines, appliances and generators to ensure safety.
When handled properly, propane is a very versatile and safe fuel. These tips and making sure you contact professional installers like Cenco Heating Oil and Propane will help you a lot.
Here are some important propane safety tips:
Handle propane tanks carefully
- Don’t use or store portable propane tanks in basements or living spaces
- Properly secure portable propane tanks when transporting
- Do not leave portable propane tanks in cars or closed vehicles
- Secure temporary tanks when used for building heat, hot water, or cooking
- Contact a qualified propane service retailer to connect tanks to appliances
Use propane gas appliances with care
- Do not use propane gas BBQ grills inside
- Do not use propane stoves or ovens for space heating
- Do not use portable electric generators indoors
- Have a qualified propane service technician connect appliances and perform a leak test
What to do If you smell gas?
- Immediately extinguish all smoking materials and open flames
- Get everyone out of the area where you suspect the gas is leaking
- Turn off the gas supply valve of your propane tank if it is safe to do so
- Once away from the leak, contact your propane supplier. If you can’t reach them, call 911
- Do not return to the area until your propane retailer, emergency responder, or qualified service technician determines it is safe to do so
- Get your system checked. Before you attempt to use any of your propane appliances, your propane retailer or a qualified service technician must check your entire system is leak free.
Safety is key with everything, we advise you always take caution. Propane is safe when you keep these helpful tips in mind!